- Thursday 27 March 2014

Warhammer scenery completed. Now with work in progress pictures.



I painted a couple more pieces of scenery today, however as one of my friends wanted to see before and after pictures of the painting I did yesterday I decided to take a few work in progress photos while I was painting today.

This is the scenery before I started painting. I bought both pieces recently from a carboot sale for £3. Kieron had said that he didn't like the fake grass glued to this scenery as his Warhammer table was urban ruins with a distinct lack of grass. The models were also pretty dusty.



The first thing I did was set my airbrush to 40psi and blow all the dust off the models. Then I covered the offending fake grass in PVA glue and with the models placed in a large plastic container, covered them with Game Workshop modelling sand. The sand has larger bits of grit in it which wouldn't stick to the PVA so after coating with the fine sand I stuck some of the larger pieces of grit on with superglue. The easiest way to do this was to put a single drop of superglue on the model then drop a single piece of grit on top of the drop of glue. Using this method I successfully avoided sticking my fingers together.



Then I put my airbrush back down to low pressure (about 15psi) and sprayed black paint into all the shadows and recesses.



Then I switched to white paint and sprayed on all the highlights, aiming from above the model down so that the "light source" was all coming from the same direction.



Then I started adding colour. This part tends to take me the most time. I keep my airbrush low pressure and hold the brush about 4 inches away from the model with a very light flow of paint. I build up the colour very slowly and try to keep the layers I put on transparent to show some of the colour underneath them.



The next step for me is to use Citadel shade to make the smaller details reappear. I like using Agrax Earthshade because its a natural brown colour and I think its black counterpart the Nuln Oil can look too artificial on scenery because real shadows are not totally jet black.



After applying the shade and leaving to dry, I paint the fine detail on with a brush. It can take quite a while tidying up the highlights but its worth it.

And here are the pictures of the finished scenery...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts